BY EDITOR
A member representing Ikwo/Ezza South Federal Constituency in the National Assembly, Rt Hon Chinedu Ogah, has called on human rights campaigner Joy Idam to immediately retract her allegation of genocide against Ebonyi State Governor, Rt Hon Francis Ogbonna Nwifuru, and apologise to the people of the state, describing the claim as false, inflammatory and misleading.
Speaking with journalists on Wednesday in Abuja, Ogah, who is the House Committee Chairman on Reformatory Institutions, firmly rejected the accusation that the governor was presiding over acts amounting to genocide in Amasiri community.
He insisted that the situation stemmed from a long-standing land dispute between neighbouring communities and should not be mischaracterised.
The lawmaker said branding the crisis as genocide distorts facts and risks escalating tensions in an area that has experienced periodic communal clashes for more than two decades.
“It is unfair for anyone who has not been present on the ground to accuse the governor of genocide. Such statements are not only false but capable of escalating tensions,” Ogah stated.
He maintained that since assuming office, Governor Nwifuru has taken proactive steps to address insecurity and communal disputes across the state.
According to him, nearly ten communities were previously embroiled in violent clashes before the inauguration of the current administration, but many of those disputes have been significantly de-escalated through dialogue and engagement.
Ogah disclosed that following renewed tensions in Amasiri, the governor constituted a panel to investigate the matter and recommend lasting solutions. He added that the imposition of a curfew in the affected area was a preventive security measure aimed at averting further loss of lives and destruction of property.
“The curfew was not targeted at any group. It was a necessary step to stabilise the area. Today, calm has largely returned, and restrictions have been relaxed,” he said.
The federal lawmaker criticised Idam for allegedly being absent from Ebonyi State for several years, arguing that her claims lacked firsthand knowledge of the situation.
He urged her to visit the state to assess developments directly rather than rely on what he described as incomplete or inaccurate reports.
Beyond security issues, Ogah pointed to what he described as key milestones under Governor Nwifuru’s administration, including expanded youth empowerment programmes and infrastructure development across local government areas.
He revealed that about 400 young people from Ebonyi State are currently studying abroad on government-funded scholarships in the United Kingdom, noting that beneficiaries were drawn from various communities, including Amasiri.
“This government has demonstrated inclusiveness. Opportunities are extended irrespective of political affiliation or community background,” he said.
Ogah also cited the construction of classroom blocks in several communities and increased support for traditional rulers as part of broader grassroots peacebuilding efforts.
He stressed that temporary school closures and curfews were precautionary responses to security threats rather than acts of victimisation.
“The allegation of genocide is completely false. The governor has worked tirelessly to ensure peace, stability, and development in Ebonyi State,” Ogah added.
The controversy came amid heightened sensitivity surrounding communal land disputes in parts of the state, with stakeholders calling for sustained dialogue to prevent further unrest.

